You successfully finished Senior High School. Your next aim is to achieve a college diploma.
However, you have discovered that education is expensive and your family cannot afford it. How are you going to pay for your college education?
Although tuition at State Universities and Colleges is now free, there are still other costs to consider, such as books, transportation, a daily living allowance, and uniforms. These are certainly not free. But don’t give up hope just yet. The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) offers scholarship scholarships to help you pay for college. Are you considering becoming a CHED Scholar? Continue reading to learn how you can become one.
The goal is to help incoming first-year college students who plan to enroll in authorized public or private colleges, universities, or Higher Education Institutions (HEI).
This is an annually competitive student financial assistance program (StuFAP) that is awarded to students based on their previous school year’s grades. All student applicants are eligible for the Full Merit and Half Merit scholarships.
Note: CHED doesn’t offer any financial assistance or scholarships to Senior High School Students (Grade 11 or Grade 12) since it is under DepEd.
Also Read: Aboitiz College Scholarship
The Advantages of Being a CHED Scholar
You don’t have to worry about paying your tuition, miscellaneous fees, or other school fees if you’re a CHED scholar. Every semester, CHED scholars receive a monthly allowance or stipend, which is distributed either directly to the scholars or through the school/Higher Education Institution. The following is a breakdown of financial assistance:
A Private University
Full CHED scholars enrolled in a private university receive P20,000 for tuition and other school fees, P35,000 in allowance, and P5,000 for books evey semester.
Here is a breakdown of the advantages of CHED scholars able to attend university.
CHED scholars who prefer to attend a state or public university receive FREE tuition as well as a stipend and book allowance of P40,000 per semester.
CHED Scholarship Program
A qualified student may be awarded a Full Scholarship (FS) or a Half Scholarship (HS) through the State Scholarship or Private Education Student Financial Assistance (PESFA).
Full Merit (FS)
Intended for high school graduates with a GWA of at least 96 % or its equivalent.
Half Merit (HS)
Intended for high school graduates with a GWA of at least 93 % – 95 % or its equivalent.
Also Read: OWWA Scholarship 2022
The following are the CHED Scholarship identified priority courses for the Academic Year (AY) 2022-2023:
Qualifications For CHED Scholarship
To be eligible for the scholarship grant, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Filipino citizen of good moral character.
- Except for senior citizens, applicants must be under the age of 30 at the time of application.
- You must be a high school graduate or a candidate for graduation.
- The total annual gross income cannot exceed Php 400,000.
- You must not be a recipient of any government scholarships or financial aid.
The scholarship is open to all qualified and deserving students, selectively those from the following special groups:
- Persons with Disabilities (PWDs)
- who are underprivileged or homeless
- Solo parents and their dependents
- Members of a cultural minority
- Members of the hill tribe
- Senior citizens
Please submit the following documents for review.
- Birth certificate (PSA or NSO) as proof of Filipino citizen.
- For graduating high school students, a high school report card or a certified true copy of grades for Grade 11 and the first semester of Grade 12.
- Any of the following are acceptable:
- Parents’ or guardians’ most recent Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Tax Exemption Certificate from the BIR
- Indigence Certificate from their Barangay or the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD)
- Case study report from DSWD
- For children of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) and seafarers, the most recent copy of the contract or proof of income may be considered.
- Certificate of moral character
Proof of the following documents (if applicable):
Parents are senior citizens.
- Being a member of an indigenous group
- Parents who are on their own or their dependents
- A person with a disability (PWD)
- Homeless and underprivileged
CHED scholars must study full-time and be regular students at a recognized private or public university in the Philippines.
Students receiving full merit scholarships must maintain a grade point average of at least 85 percent, while half merit scholars must maintain a grade point average of at least 80 percent.
Failure to maintain the required GWA will result in the scholarship being terminated. You can, however, request reconsideration within 15 days of receiving your GWA notice.
If you want to transfer to another school or change courses, you must first get permission from the Regional Office.
Results of the CHED Scholarship 2021
The CHED Scholarship Program’s outcome is determined by a ranking system and the availability of slots.
The list of qualifiers has yet to be announced, but it is expected to be released this month via individual emails to each qualifier. Keep an eye on this page for updates.
- The online application for the CHED College Scholarship has now closed. The deadline for submissions was August 15, 2021.
- CHED has made a minor change to its earlier recommendations. For the Academic Year 2021-2022, this article has been modified.
- SM Scholarship 2022 | Requirements & Qualifications, Application Link
- Hawak Kamay Scholarship Application 2022/2023 | Apply NOW
- CHED SIKAP Grant 2022 | Apply Now
- PhilSA AD Astra Scholarships Program
No. Senior-high students are under DepEd.
If you are a full-time student, you will receive Php 35,000 per semester. They will receive Php 17,000 per semester as a half-scholar.
Unfortunately, CHED’s priority courses are very specific. You could look into other scholarships instead.
For example, CHED announced a cash grant for medical students enrolled in specific State Universities.
Yes. CHED will accept your application if you meet all of the other requirements and submit all of the required documents.